New Orleans mayor: Mayor Dunn’s ‘unfortunate accident’ won’t keep construction of city’s downtown from going ahead

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu on Friday said the city’s effort to move forward with construction of a $1.8 billion mixed-use development in the heart of the city is not at risk of being delayed because of the fatal accident of a construction worker last month.

The accident last month in which a crane operator fell and was killed while trying to clear the site of a major flood in the city was a “tragic accident,” Landrieo said during a news conference on the steps of the Louisiana Capitol.

But Landriez said the accident is a reminder of how hard it is to build a city, especially in a city of the magnitude of New Orleans.

Landrieus’ office said a spokesman did not immediately respond to an email Friday from The Associated Press.

Landry said construction will start in mid-October.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.