A construction worker is suing a major building firm for more than $100,000 after the company’s demolition was delayed by a construction accident.
Key points:A construction worker has sued a major construction firm for $100 million over the cost of the demolition of a houseKey points :A construction company has been fined $100m over the construction accident in South BrisbaneThe man is claiming the demolition caused the collapse of the houseHe wants to be paid for the damage to his home and other property damagesThe man, who cannot be named, has filed a civil claim with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCCAT) alleging the construction company that contracted to demolish his home should be compensated for the loss of his property.
The contractor was working on a building at the corner of St Kilda Road and Beaudry Street in South Bowen about 7:00am on August 16, 2017.
The man said the demolition took place without a permit or proper inspection and the company had to be fined for failing to have a proper permit.
The case has been adjourned until February 28.
The construction company, C-Design Construction, was contracted by the State Government to demolise the house.
It has previously been fined for causing damage to property in South Queensland.
A spokeswoman for the QCCAT said the agency would not comment on individual cases.
“It is common practice for the Queensland Construction Industry Authority to monitor and enforce its regulatory responsibilities in relation to construction related matters,” she said.
“The QCCAC has been engaged with C-Structures regarding the matter.”
This matter has been resolved with C Structures.
“The building contractor has told the court the contractor has been working on the house for the past six months and the demolition is only for cosmetic reasons.
The spokesman said the contractor had completed a thorough inspection of the property, including obtaining the required building permit, and had not had any problems with the previous owner of the home.
The spokesperson said the inspector was also aware of the building’s location, and was satisfied the construction was in compliance with Queensland regulations.
The contractor said it had undertaken an internal investigation into the matter, and it had not been contacted by the QACAT for comment.
Topics:environment,law-crime-and-justice,environmental-impact,courts-and/or-trials,courthouse-andrews-3141,brisbane-4000,south-brisbane,queensland,southport-4215,brisbridge-3155,qub,beaudry-4305,dubbo-4414,brisbane-3000,perth-6000,brisbanon-4700More stories from Queensland